The Absolution Gap is a divide between the Omniverses of Reality and the Omniverses of Unreality. Reality and Unreality are separate, absolutely separate, with a tiny gap between the two of them. This gap is called "The Absolution Gap" because no power in either Reality nor Unreality (it is assumed) has the ability to breach it. That is law, that is fact. That is Absolute.
A realm of emptiness, my home. Nothingness, nothing, empty, emptiness. That is all I know, all I am, all I ever will be. Then something changed, and I was spewed out into a place of things, a place of places. So absolutely different from my nature, so utterly full that even the emptiest place there was filled to the brim with substance. I was no longer in a realm of nothing. I was no longer nothing. Now I was something. And that something wanted a name. I was small, almost nothing, but no longer nothing. I was alone, as I had never been alone before. I had never had even the concept of alone, the concept of nothing meant nothing to me. But no I knew, now I was something. But what was I? What would I call myself, for now I had a self to call something. But what? A sudden strange thing, something I at once understood and made no sense of. "Watcher, what have you seen?" I now had a name. 'Watcher'. I was Watcher.
More of this strange thing, which I was beginning to understand as my self adapted to this strange place of places. "Something just exited the Absolution Gap." I now had a home. The Absolution Gap. That was where I wanted to be, that was home, that was safe, that was sheltered. I wanted that now. "I don't know what it is, but this... thing has escaped, has managed to leave the Absolution Gap. Nothing can pass into or out of that gap, that's why Reality and Unreality are separate entities. Because of the Gap." Reality? Unreality? Were these where I was? Were these... places of places really called that? Reality must be where I was, as that was what had been stated first. "Study it, if you can. I need to know what it is. A weapon? A ship? Something else entirely?" "It... it appears to be made of nothing, made of the same nothingness as the Absolution Gap. Except... on the edges, it's changing, gaining form, becoming something out of nothing. Sir, we cannot allow this... thing to come in contact with any powerful energy source. Who knows what kind of havoc it could wreck with an energy source." Now I had a goal: energy. I needed to find an energy source. So I went looking for one.
I found one nearby. But I was suddenly scared. What was it, I needed to know. So I tried to find those strange things from earlier. And there they were. "Shit, sir, it's headed for the generator. If it gets that generator... well, that will be enough energy for it to last forever." "Funny, Watcher, how it only started looking for energy when you said it shouldn't touch energy. Wonder why?" "Are you implying I gave it orders?" "No, but it may be listening to us. If it is, I hope it knows we mean it no harm, and hope it means us no harm either." But I had no concept of harm, no concept of listening, or hope, or anything. I only knew that now I knew what the energy source was. A Generator. I went to it. And then I felt power, then I had a concept of what energy was, what power was. I was strong, I was dangerous. I understood "Harm" and "hope". And I understood that I wouldn't be able to return to the Absolution Gap without energy, more energy then this 'generator' could ever provide me. I needed more.
"Shit, Sir, it's taking our energy, it's absorbing the black hole! And... and it has gained a full form. It has become a black hole, but those aren't supposed to be able to exist in the raw reality, they only exist in universes and metaverses! They can't exist outside them!" "Apparently they can, because this.. thing just became one." "Wait... it's changing again. It's... oh my god." I adapted. In order to gain energy, I would need to speak with these creatures, as I now knew them to be. So I became them. And destroyed them with my touch. They could not sustain me, they were not like me, they could never be like me. Not enough to communicate with me, anyhow. I would be alone again. Not again. I had only just came to understand the concept of alone, and of with. But now I could see that no being in this "Reality" would be able to be 'with' me. Unless... unless I watched, as my name suggested I do. Yes. I would Watch them. I would watch them, and someday, I would find one capable of speaking with me. And someday, I would return to the Absolution Gap. Someday, I would return home.
4 Thousand Years LaterEdit
His plan was finally coming to fruition. For 4 thousand years Watcher had manipulated and altered the humans of this one little planet, all for the purpose of creating a being like himself. He was finally going to be successful, as a child was being born who would have the power to someday speak to him, if she could learn to tap into it. All the creatures from this world could talk to him, but he only needed one... and when he got what he wanted, he would terminate the species utterly, leave no tracks. Watcher watched as a girl was born, born into a world that would curse and hurt her, born into the life he had placed her into so that she would want to come with him when he offered her Existence...
San Francisco (2043)Edit
It's a Small World After AllEdit
Speaking of DemonsEdit
Watcher And CharcoalEdit
Charcoal looked out over the Omniverse, staring with large eyes at everything She could see it all, her friends in the ship fleeing back home to help save the human species from the termination date, fleeing to just one of an infinite number of universes. Worlds upon worlds with humans living within them, limitless numbers of universes without humans. Universes in all stages of their lives, universes within universes. Charcoal looked into the past, and into the future. In an instant she knew Watcher's role in her existence, she knew his past. But that was not all she knew. She now knew the joys of flight, the curse of death. She watched as, in one world, a child was born. In another world, a war begins and thousands die. In that world, a demonic species attempts to wipe all life from it; and this world, a city is founded that will become a center of the arts, of learning and civilization. Charcoal could see all of Reality, all of it. But she could see beyond Reality, she could see other Realities out there. Unreality, simply a different Reality. Charcoal could even detect the Absolution Gap, and infinite others like it, places of nothing, of emptiness. Unborn universes, waiting to live.
Charcoal saw Watcher then. He appeared as black fire, taking no single form, a mass of flames that shifted and swirled as Charcoal watched. He was the larger, older, and more powerful of the two. He hadn't spent the last 4 thousand years sleeping, after all. No he had grown much since his own entry into this Reality, and he was dangerous, even to Charcoal. But he simply wanted to talk. "Hello, Charcoal. Finally, we meed face to face, insofar as those such as us can do so." "Why?" "Why what?" "Why did you create me, why do you seek to destroy humans, why do you seek to destroy this Reality?" "I seek only to return home, where I belong. If that means I must destroy this Reality, then so be it." "You will lose. I will not let you destroy everything I have ever known to be real and true in the world." Watcher seemed to move back slightly, as though he hadn't expected this. "But... you need not die with them. You can come with me, you can explore all of Existence, everything, all of time and space." "And lose everything that I love? Lose my family? Never."
For Charcoal now knew she had a family. Scattered and lost, but a family, on earth. She now had reason to fight Watcher, more then ever before. Watcher could see this. He could see everything, but he had refused to allow himself to see this future. His desire for friends had blinded him to the dangers, and now he was looking at one. Charcoal felt herself growing strong, growing powerful. Watcher was still the more powerful of them though, and he refused to die. She tried to snuff him out, but found himself unable to do so. Watcher had been equalled by Charcoal. Watcher tried to talk to her, but she refused to reply. She was angry, she was furious, she was Charcoal in all her pride and all her glory. She would not let another lead her, she was the leader! Watcher saw this, and fled from her. He knew what he needed to do, knew that to return to the safety of his home he would need to destroy this Reality. He now just had another enemy to deal with, that was all. And Charcoal, well, she decided to do as she had always done: Fight!
- Charcoal - Charcoal is a street rat living on the streets of San Francisco. She is the de-facto leader of her little gang of kids, which consists of Sky, Fire, and Mud. Hair that is dark black with lighter streaks in it, hence her name, and emerald green eyes. She is 18 years old.
- Watcher - Watcher, or "The Watcher" is a being of near limitless power from another form of Existence called the Absolution Gap. His was an unstarted Reality, a place of nothing. He managed to escape that place, though not even he knows how or why.
- Sky - Named after his hair, Sky is a 5ft9in tall boy of 16. He is a member of Charcoal's Gang, and uses a pair of knives as his main weapons.
- Fire - Her name comes from her hair and personality. Fire is a loud, not too subtle individual with hair as red as the reddest fire. She has dark blue eyes and likes to use her looks against her enemies. 17 years old.
- Mud - Mud has brown eyes, brown hair, and wishes his name could be Dusty. He isn't loud, doesn't defend himself against verbal abuse, doesn't like to argue, and is a ruthless killer when necessary. He uses a number of guns, all of which were stolen. Keeps spare ammo on his body at all times, along with a small book the nature of which is unknown. Mud is 19 years old.
- The Absolution Gap - Watcher's home and a barrier between this Omniverse and the Next.
- San Francisco - The city on earth where Charcoal's Gang live and are introduced to the story.
- Central Library of Omega Knowledge - This is where Charcoal's group first meets Watcher.
- Reality - Contains Watcher, the Central Library of Omega Knowledge, and many other places besides it.
- Humans - Charcoal is human.
- Drugats - The species that Charcoals group meets when their ship crashes on Earth.
- Jaer - A species that attacks Charcoals first ship.
- K2Y3T45 - A Machine Species that tells Charcoal of Watcher and that he may know the way back to their universe.
- Omega - A powerful species of creature that can travel the Omniverse with ease, and know a great many things about it.
- Infinit others - Encountered in the Central Library of Omega Knowledge as Charcoal and her group look for a way back to their universe.
- Prologue Watcher, a massively powerful being from the Absolution Gap, wants two things in life: A friend, and to return home someday. In that order. Because of this, he started working on uplifting and altering a humanoid species in a smaller universe that he selected for their adaptability and potential. That species is Homo Sapients, or Humans.
- 4000 Years Later: Charcoal, the Human that Watcher selected to be his friend, lives in San Francisco. Shes the leader of a small gang, and they are simply trying to survive when Watcher influences a UFO to crash into the group.
- It's a Small World After All: They take the ship and end up accidentally leaving their Multiverse behind. They then try to make it back to Earth, learning about the Metaverse they live in. They are told about Watcher, and about how he may know the way back to their home.
- Speaking of Demons-Watcher and Charcoal: Charcoal and her little group have entered the Omniverse, or "Reality". They are still looking for Watcher, but on their journeys they encounter a vast number of different creatures that live in the Omniverse. They learn of the Absolution Gap, as well as find out from Watcher himself about the Termination Date on the human species, one that he set up to destroy them after he got his wish of a friend. He doesn't tell them that he set it up though, and he gives them a cure, having decided that they are worth saving, if only until he finds a way to destroy the Omniverse.
Notes on the story to help you understandEdit
The Universes HereEdit
- Existence is everything. There is nothing outside of Existence, nothing, for Existence has no borders, limitations, beginning, or end.
- Realities are immense essences that all follow similar laws. Basically, they are the bubbles in the bathwater, and Existence is the bathwater. Eventually, the bubbles pop, merging with Existence and releasing their contents into everything.
- Omniverses are just another name for Realities, more scientific, like calling Earth "Terra". Omniverses contain Metaverses.
- Metaverses are massive essences that follow much more similar laws then Omniverses. These contain Black Holes, which are portals to their individual Multiverses within them. They will eventually pop, spewing out their innards into the Omniverse that contains them.
- Multiverses are filled with Universes, and have their own laws and rules that vary between them. They contain all the things that Universes do, but they also contain Black Holes (which shows that our "universe" is really a Multiverse). Eventually, they pop, spewing their innards into the Metaverse that contains them, and creating bubbles of laws that spread until they hit and merge with another bubble.
- Universes are ever expanding bubbles of essence. As they age, they will slowly spread out until they pop, spewing their innards into Multiverses and the like. They all follow a strict set of rules that varies slightly between individual Universes inside a Multiverse, and more so each level up you go.
- I did not know about Alastair Reynolds' book named the same thing. Woops... fail. My bad, I'll try to think up a new name if it becomes necessary.
- I have long thought of a being from in between "Reality" and "Unreality"
- Both "Reality" and "Unreality" are realities, but so different they cannot even be called opposites. They are simply different.
- The Absolution Gap is at once the size of a reality and nonexistant. There is no reality within it, no time, no space, nothing but nothingness.