The goal is to produce an audio script that would be similar to The War of the Worlds as presented by radio in 1938...hopefully an audio version of the Moon Hammer story can be ready by Halloween of 2010.
For an example of a story adapted for audio, see VirileMail/Audio version.
Dedicated to the spirit of Orson Welles.
Unnammed Announcer for Campus Radio.. James Craven - Newsreader for Campus Radio's London division. Andrew Carter - Oxford University Student , reporter for Campus Radio.. Donald Murphy - Internet News Bloggers Association member and program narrator
- .. and tonight we present yet more of the strange and possibly True facts from The Desk, we have the latest free releases in 'Music for the Common Man", and Why you should never beam down in a read shirt.
- This is Campus Radio... Your voice to the World.
- And as we approach the top of the hour, we join citizen Journalists across the globe as we cross to London and tonight's
newsreader James Craven...
SFX: News Theme
- This is James Craven in London...
- Tonight's breaking stories...
- Anglican leaders in deadlock on gay marriage debate...
- American space scientists baffled by probe results..
- 'Wicca'-versity wins recognition..
- And on a lighter note, the academics that time separated but wiki did not..
- Leaders of the Anglican church meeting in Oxford have remained deadlocked in a debate over the
churches position on gay marriage. The meeting was called by Archbishop <name> in response to concern by traditionalists, that the church was on the verge of recognising civil partnerships.
Campus Radio contributer Andrew Carter has been following developments. Good Evening Andrew....
- <webcam> Good Evening...
- So what developments?
- There is still deadlock.
- What seems to be the sticking point...
- The traditionalist faction remain unconvinced, and are refusing to budge, there is talk of a schism.
- This is despite a compromise suggested by the Bishop of Thame?
- Although considered the Thame proposal was voted down. A further announcment is expe <breaks>
- Is everything alright?
CARTER SFX (under): <sound of fire alarm>
- ... Sorry, the alarm is sounding and I've been asked to evacuate the building.
- Andrew Carter, thank you.
- <off mic> They've found what? <transmission break>
- Apologies for the interruption,, We will return to Andrew Carter as soon as we can.
- Continuing with our next item...
- Scientists at the American space agency NASA are baffled by recent results from a
lunar probe. The probe which was designed to test for the presnce of water by impacting a crater on the moon are quoted variously as 'unexpected' or 'widely divergent' according to informed sources. NASA has not yet released a statement on the probe which was at first thought to be lost, following a larger than expected explosion on lunar impact.
A Nasa press conference is scheduled for 10 am Florida time tomorrow... '
And we are able to rejoin Andrew Carter with a breaking story...
CARTER (via phone)' SFX (under): CROWD
- I am standing on the Western Parks Road in Central Oxford.
- A large numebr of the College buildings in the area are being evacuated...
- Police and college authorities are tight lipped as to the reason.
- I am also getting reports that the Hollywell centre is also being cordoned off..
SFX:<sound of sirens>
- Have the authorities told you anything?
- We were only told to evacuate...
- And no indication of likely cause?
- No indication, although it has been suggested that animal liberationists may have targeted the University..
- Thank ...
CARTER (cuts in)
- There seems to be some movement...
- I've just seen a police escort , with an army Land rover heading in the direction of the Holy...
SFX (breaks): There's a loud rumble, a deafening boom ,splintering glass, all the car/shop alarms are sounding...
- This is Campus Radio, It appears that an incident in Oxford has temporarily broken our connection with
Andrew Carter.. Campus Radio is starting to get reports of further evacuations throughout the UK. It is unknown if the incidents are linked. Please contact Campus Radio if you have information on these incidents.
Although we are now returning to Network Control in Tampa, we may return to this story as it breaks....
Announcer : This is Campus Radio. Owing to a developing news story we are now handing you to Don Murphy at the INBA offices in San Fransisco....
MUSIC: INBA theme music.
Murphy: This is Don Murphy welcoming you to a special audio podcast for the INBA Blogging News podcast series. Tonight the blogosphere is alive with Moon Madness. I'll be bringing you interviews with contributing members of the Internet News Bloggers Association who are tracking this rapidly developing story...what may well be the most horrifying and terrible event of our lives.
MUSIC: INBA Blogging News theme music.
- First, let me update you on the course of world events. Within the last hour, the President of the European Council, Fredrik Reinfeldt, and other key leaders of the European Union called on the NATO member nations to mobilize all available troops in response to the wave of violence that is continuing to sweep through Europe, The United Kingdom is reported to have activated COBRA committe with key members of the Cameron cabinet already in emergency session. United States President Barack Obama declared a state of national emergency and called for a full mobilization of the National Guard. Although reports are sketchy, limited reports from Bejing (prior to a country-wide net blackout) indicated a massive troop buildup. Similar actions have been taken by national leaders around the world. Speaking for the international community, United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has called for calm and a return to the rule of secular law in every nation around the world. US Special Envoy Tony Blair has echoed these calls.
- Campus Radio has also heard of examples of as yet seemingly random 'terrorist' acts.
Here is an excerpt from one of the INBA Blogging News correspondents, blogging from the Castro District of San Francisco, California. From the "San Francisco Sideways" blog, posted by Thomas Curiel two hours ago: "Witnesses described a huge truck that pulled up in front of the AIDS/HIV Crisis Center on Castro Street at about 2:30 PM, Pacific Time. It was a tanker truck marked "Stockton gasoline delivery service". The driver got out of the truck, walked down the street to the corner light and got into a passing pickup truck. Police and a large tow truck had arrived on the scene within ten minutes, but then the truck exploded. Buildings on both sides of the street collapsed and burst into flames. Emergency response teams worked for an hour before being forced to retreat by a mob chanting, "Let the sinners burn!" The entire city of San Francisco is now a battle ground."
- That was from a blog post by Thomas Curiel. Similar acts of violence have been reported around the world in response to what is being called the "Sermon From Purgatory", the radio message that came from the Moon and claimed that the End Times are near. The Sermon was given by someone who identified himself as "Institoris" and called for "all true believers to rally together and reclaim Earth for God!"
- This incendiary "Sermon From Purgatory" has gone viral and spread through the internet. Hundreds of copies are now available on media websites such as YouTube. YouTube, owned by Google, quickly declared the "Sermon" to be a violation of their terms of service which explicitly excludes hate speech targeting anyone on the basis of religion, sexual orientation or gender identity. However, thousands of copies of the "Sermon" remain easy to access on the internet and the Sermon has been widely played on radio and television.
- Who is this "Institoris"? How is it possible that "Institoris" is on the Moon and was able to send a radio message to Earth? Members of the INBA Blogging News network have been piecing together the story. The "Sermon From Purgatory" was initially streamed to the internet by Gerald Silver, an employee of the Christian Voice Network. Gerald has since posted the following in a note at his Facebook account,
- "At first, the message seemed harmless and intriguing. I thought, if the message was really coming from the Moon then this was an historical event, although I suspected it was some kind of stunt. My Latin is rusty and I could not fully understand what Institoris was saying, but it sounded like a simple greeting. I thought it was viral advertising for some new movie or something. I thought that by streaming the message it might generate publicity for the Christian Voice Network. I was not even listening when, hours later, the message shifted into English. I did not even become aware of the so-called "Sermon From Purgatory" until my supervisor at the Christian Voice Network spoke to me. By then, the radio signal had gone dead. I'm saddened and astounded by the effects of this message from Institoris. I regret my roll in making this so-called Sermon available to the world."
- That was a statement by Gerald Silver, apparently the person who first made the "Sermon From Purgatory" available on the internet. Some observers have suggested that the the Christian Voice Network is behind the "Sermon", but that has been denied and there is no evidence to support the idea. Members of the INBA Blogging News network have confirmed that the Allen Telescope Array first detected the unusual radio signal from the Moon. That was yesterday, and Gerald Silver confirms that he learned about the radio message from the moon when he noticed the press release from the Allen Telescope Array that initially described the message.
- There has been much speculation in the blogosphere about the identity of "Institoris" and the relationship of his radio message to recent American and Chinese space missions to the Moon. Now...I'll get to those issues in a minute, but first, I want to read a recent blog post from another INBA Blogging News network correspondent. Let me...I need to warn the listener...one moment please.
MUSIC: INBA Blogging News theme music.